With a background in the semiconductor industry, we have not only designed many board-level microprocessor systems but had responsibility for full system-on-chip partitioning and architectural design (hardware/software co-design). This experience means that we can begin with a broad view of the application, and then ensure that the partitioning between hardware and software provides the best cost/performance balance to fulfil the overall product requirements.
Our knowledge and experience gives us the capability to take the client's product all the way from concept through to a production-ready system; incorporating hardware and PCB design, software development, prototyping, and final validation.
Key skill areas
- Microprocessors - ARM, MIPS, PowerPC, PIC, HC08, 8051
- Programming languages - C, C++, C#/.NET, Visual C++/Basic
- Wireless communications - ZigBee/802.15.4, WiFi, Bluetooth
- Hardware interfaces - USB, Wireless, I2C, Ethernet, PC-Card
- Low-power hardware/software design
- PCB design and prototyping
- Embedded Linux - full system integration including tool-chain, development system, drivers, optimised kernel and run-time environment
- Operating Systems such as Linux, Windows, C/OS-II, Nucleus PLUS
- Device drivers
- FPGA-based hardware development
The Engineering Process
When assessing a programme of work, we will analyse your top-level requirements and break the work down into measurable stages. These stages will be marked by agreed milestones, accompanied by defined deliverables allowing you to see that the work is proceeding according to requirements.
The assessment will usually begin with a detailed requirement specification submitted by the client. However, having experience of managing external contracts ourselves we can, if required, work with you to formalise and fully specify your requirements. This then provides a firm basis for costing and scheduling of any subsequent programme of work.
Throughout the programme of work you will be kept fully up to date through agreed reporting and feedback procedures.
Internally, our developments follow a well-defined process which includes source control and configuration management, automated documentation generation, peer review procedures and continual testing.